Monday, March 2, 2009

Where I will not be next year...

One thing I know for certain is where I will not be next year.  With all of our futures next fall swirling in the wind I have drawn my conclusion that in no way shape or form will I be living, teaching, working, tending bar, golfing, playing basketball, or hanging out in Eastern Oregon.  The Grande Rhonde Valley has treated me well in my 19 months here, but its time to move out of here.  I have always told my friends and family that this area is 10 years behind everywhere else.  I believe it.  Coming from beautiful Western Washington, Eastern Oregon is a drastic change.  I believe that this area is still a very racist community.  I heard some things at work Saturday night form some local highly regarding community leaders that have made me sick to my stomach.  Without naming names or going on a witch hunt, I heard a local official offer a commentary about both the ethnicity of our president and the problems that will arise with him as our president.  Also, this person mentioned that not "if" but "when" the president gets shot, that things will get back to the way they used to be.  

This person was sitting with a large group of cronies or local supporters, it was not the stage for me to voice my opinion.  I had to bite my tongue.  

I will never live in an area where people can not respect a common person for who they are.  My parents may not have been able to provide me with all the great amenities and vacations growing up, but they did teach me values and respect for ALL people.  I need to thank them again for raising me right.    


8 comments:

  1. Well, I would have to say I agree. With my student teaching experience in La Grande, I found students commented about racial issues in class and I had to have explicit rules about racial and ethnic comments. I can say I will not be pursuing a teaching career in the Eastern Oregon either. It's unfortunate because children learn these habits and beliefs from parents and community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris as I have said before I absolutely agree. I have told you the same thing about Pendleton over here. Alot of racists. And another thing that we can agree upon is the fact that W.Wash has much more to offer then this place. I have been here 5 years and there is really nothing that I would like more than to get out of dodge back to the west side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from Eastern Oregon. *Sad face*

    We need people like you in regions like this. People who surround themselves with similar views will never change, but if more folks come in from the outside (especially influential teachers!) that kind of ignorance and hate can start the process of dissolving away in the next generation.

    It's largely thankless and upsetting much of the time, but the only way to break the cycle is to have progressive views break the trend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes can't believe what people are capable of. I lived in Sandpoint, Idaho for about four years and couldn't believe the people and their views in that area. In Couer D'Alene, Idaho they still had KKK/white supremist marches down main street. There are just a lot of ignorant people out there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off how did i miss this? second, if everyone thinks that it isnt worth sticking around because of the racism, then things will never change. I know that you already planned to leave, and that this isnt your home, but saying that are leaving due to racism...well i cant teacher all these kids to think on their own (independently of parents and community) by myself!

    Anyways, if it makes you feel any better about the future for Eastern Oregon I have wintnessed more then one occasion of studnets correcting other studnets racist attitudes. Believe it or not it is becoming less socially acceptable to behave like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris,
    I am going through the same dillema. Coming from Western Oregon (which is at least equally as beautiful as Western Washington), I have experienced the same "culture" shock. I am tied down to this area, however. What makes this okay for me is that I see an opportunity to make some changes. 1st: establish a decent art scene 2nd: I am part of the Oregon Rural Action Committee whos purpose is to make changes in environmental issues in our area 3rd: in your classroom, you have an opportunity to educate on these issues. It is really hard sometimes and I want to go screaming out of here, but hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really unfortunate you had to experience that guy...and even more unfortunate for those living in or from Eastern Oregon, particularly La Grande, as he represents them. I suppose this is a good argument for why people like you need to stick around. Although its unlikely that guy's attitude can or will ever be changed, as teachers we have the opportunity to educate children on issues such as these

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, growing up in Eastern Oregon, and having lived most of my adult life outside of Eastern Oregon, I am happy to say that I don't harbor many of the same sentiments that some of the residents do. I do get very frustrated sometimes with the views of others, but I just have to remember what I believe in. I too have felt like I need to bite my tongue in certain situations in my community (especially now so that I am involved with the school). One wrong statement, and I could lose my chance at getting a job in some of these small areas. Sucks, but I guess that's life. Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete